Determine the bandwidth and/or storage required for a group of cameras.
The Arecont Vision Bandwidth calculator has been replaced by the Contera System Configurator — a general purpose app that helps determine bandwidth and storage required over time based on camera resolutions, activity, recording methods, etc.
NOTE: While the System Configurator can help estimate your bandwidth and storage needs, you should discuss your network and system needs with an Arecont Vision technical representative to finalize plans for your surveillance system and related network infrastructure.
The system configurator determines the bandwidth and storage required to record a set of cameras. It does not account for bandwidth consumed by surveillance personnel viewing live or recorded streams.
- Go to the Contera System Configurator
- Click + Add Camera. Configure cameras to estimate total bandwidth and storage requirements.
- Set the Camera Type.
- Set the Recording Type. The Recording Type determines how often video transfers to recorders, affecting the network.
- Set your Camera Model. Higher resolution models (single or multi-sensor) consume more bandwidth.
- Set the Hours that the camera records per day. The hours of activity affects storage requirements only; your network must account for the maximum bandwidth load at any time.
- Set camera Activity. More active scenes require more bandwidth and trigger recording more often (if Recording Type includes motion).
- Set FPS. Higher framerates consume more bandwidth.
- Set QTY — the number of cameras of that type.
- Repeat until you have added all your cameras; your system Throughput increases for each camera (and each increase in QTY).
- Click + Add Recorder to add recorders and drag cameras to various recorders; you can arrange your cameras to maximize your available storage.
- Click SELECT YOUR RECORDER SOLUTION on the System tab to select recorders; you can select recorders to increase available recording throughput and storage per recorder.
- When you're done, click My Unsaved Project and export your project as an excel spreadsheet.
NOTE: If you add multiple recorders, you can figure out your total network load by adding bandwidth across each recorder.
The System tab on the right shows the retention time for the selected recorder in days. If your retention time is too low, you can add recorders and move cameras to better fit your needs or select a different recorder.
You can also go to the Storage tab and provide the days-worth of retention you need to determine your storage requirements in TB; use this tab as a quick reference to determine your recording needs.